Monday, August 4, 2008

Deb's "Take It Anywhere" Mac Salad

Just got back from a fun camping trip to Scott's Flat Lake with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and niece. I love to go camping. When I was growing up I remember my parents and our family friends the Kraus's spending hours meal planning for our "big" trip to the woods for the weekend. Unfortunately I was not as organized this trip as far as our meal planning went. We did do the traditional bbq'd hot dogs for lunch the first day and bbq'd hamburgers for dinner and who can forget the smores?! But the one thing I did make which is a staple for any camping trip was mac salad. This recipe for "take it anywhere" mac salad is one that has been handed down for many generations in my family and is a must at any of our family get togethers next to the potato salad. The recipe has changed over the years slightly as it has gone from person to person and this is my version of it.

Deb's "Take It Anywhere" Mac Salad

1 - (12-16oz pkg.) of salad macaroni - I like to use the little salad macaronis. They are getting harder and harder to find at the grocery store. So if you have a hard time, any smaller pasta will work.
1 cup of mayo
3/4 to 1 cup of sweet pickle relish
3 eggs (hard boiled and diced)
4.25 oz. can of chopped olives
4 oz. jar of diced pimientos
1-3 tbsp. dried parsley
1-3 tbsp. dried minced onion
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Hard boil eggs about 20 minutes or until done. Let cool in fridge. Boil noodles per package directions and then drain. Let pasta cool. If pasta gets sticky just run a little cold water over it. Add mayo and relish and thoroughly mix through. Add the rest of the ingredients mixing very well to make sure that everything has been well combined. Chill in fridge overnight and serve the next day. This salad always tastes better the next day. It really allows the mayo and relish to soak in. If it looks too dry the next day add a little more mayo and relish. Don't go overboard. A little bit goes a long way. As you can see with the parsley and minced onion, I leave you a range. I do this because everyone has different tastes. I personally load it to the max with these two ingredients. My husband, Mike, always gets so upset if I accidentally leave out the parsley. It really gives it a little zing of flavor.

Allergy Note: We will be posting a homemade mayo recipe that does not include vegetable oil for those of you out there that are allergic to soy like me! So stay tuned. I have to steal it from my Grandma's secret wonderful recipe box. The homemade mayo post will be up soon!

No comments: