Friday, August 8, 2008

Dama Margie's Ginger Snaps

It's Deb. My Grandma Margie (who my daughter's now call Dama Margie) is one of the best cooks that I know. She is always in her kitchen or her sewing room whipping up fabulous things for her family to enjoy. These are some of my favorite cookies that she makes. These cookies are crunchy due to the shortening so just beware! I love crunchy cookies though, they really go good with a big glass of milk!

I am trying to find what the substitution is for shortening to butter. Unfortunately, I cannot indulge in the greasy white stuff anymore due to my soy allergy and have to go back for the butter. In all of my research, I have not yet found a good solution to this. I think it will have to be through trial and error. If anyone knows a good substitution amount for these two, please leave us a comment and let us know.

Dama Margie's Ginger Snaps

3/4 c. shortening

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1/4 c. molasses (Oh, how I love these ooey-gooey molasses)

2 -1/4 c. flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ginger

1/2 tsp. cloves

1/4 tsp. salt

Cream the first four ingredients together with mixer. I love my Kitchen-Aid! Set aside. In a separate bowl sift together next six dry ingredients and then add them to the creamed mixture. Shape dough into balls and dip tops into sugar. Place on greased cookie sheet or, my favorite little tool, the silicone baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees ten to twelve minutes. Immediately remove from baking sheet.

** Allergy Trick** Did you know that you can substitute bananas for eggs. I have been using this trick with my youngest daughter who is highly allergic to eggs and she thinks it tastes great. Of course always use your discretion as when to use bananas. Some things just don't taste right with banana flavoring. Use 1/2 -3/4 of regular size banana for 1-3 eggs. You can use this in brownies, cookies most anything that is sweet it will work. Try it, it works I'm telling you!

No comments: