Thursday, September 25, 2008

Chicken Chili and Cornbread Dumplings

How I love Fall time for all of the fabulous soups, stews and chilis. There is nothing like a huge bowl with biscuits, bread or dumplings. I thought this recipe would be just the one to start off the Fall with. It has a little bit of a kick and that's what makes it fun and festive. This wonderful recipe was found in a Bisquick cookbook. You know the ones you find at the checkout counter of the grocery store. It has so many fantastic recipes in it. I can't wait to try more. I did modify it a bit to fit the items that were in my pantry and my freezer.

Chicken Chili with Cornbread Dumplings

Chili:
3 cups of cubed cooked chicken

1 1/2 cups of water

1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup

1 can (15 oz.) Great Northern Beans

1 can of corn, undrained

1/2 bag of frozen mixed color peppers (red, green and yellow - pretty)

1 can (4.5 oz.) of chopped green chiles

1 tsp. ground cumin

Dumplings:
1 1/3 cups original Bisquick mix

2/3 cup yellow cornmeal

2/3 cup milk

1 tsp. chili powder

In 5 quart nonstick Dutch oven, heat all chili ingredients over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly *(I really didn't know what a dutch oven was until I went to my local Target and found one in the pot and pan aisle. I actually had one at home without even realizing it. Think a deep set pan that has a lid. Pretty basic.)
In medium bowl, stir all dumpling ingredients until soft dough forms.
Drop dough by 8 rounded spoonfuls onto simmering chili. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; cook 13 to 15 minutes or until dumplings are dry. (They expand quite a bit as well, so don't be alarmed.)

No comments: