Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lavender Ice Cream

Prentiss sent us this wonderful Lavender ice cream recipe. She made this wonderful ice-cream for a bridal luncheon that she hosted and said that it was a huge hit. The shower was garden themed and she made a rosemary-rubbed pork tenderloin, green beans, and butternut squash soup. Her mother also made a lavender pound cake. Yum! I wish I was there! I thought that this was a great recipe as we start to anticipate Spring coming on. My lavender doesn't look so hot right now, but I know it will be great in a few months. I really want to try this recipe so I think I might have to buy some from our local Whole Foods Market and give it a whirl. Thanks Prentiss for another great recipe!!!
Lavender Ice Cream

2/3 c Half n Half


3 oz dried lavender flowers (I found mine in the Spice section of the grocery store)


2/3 c Sugar
4 Egg yolks
2/3 c Heavy whipping cream
Cold Dried Lavender flowers for garnish (optional)

In a saucepan, slowly heat half n half to approximately 200 F.
Remove from heat and add lavender. Allow to steep for 15 minutes.
Strain milk through cheesecloth while warm.
Return half n half and stir in sugar until dissolved.
In a separate bowl, lightly whisk egg yolks.
Add a small amount of heated half n half/sugar mixture to egg yolks, whisking constantly. Add egg yolk mixture to warm half n half mixture and stir constantly until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat again and stir in heavy whipping cream. Chill in refrigerator until thoroughly cooled (2 hours - overnight).
Process in any ice cream machine. Freeze if necessary.
Sprinkle dried flowers when serving for garnish.

1 comment:

Heidiwriter said...

YUM! this sounds very intriguing. I love ice cream and I like the scent of lavender...

Heidi