Thursday, July 31, 2008

Two-Cheese Squash Casserole


Hey, it's Deb. Hope you enjoyed Kim's fantastic chocolate chippers. I covet her cookies. Sometimes she will even surprise me with a batch. (Hint Hint) I can never make them as good as my friend. She is a fabulous cook and I wish that I could kidnap her and keep her cooking in my kitchen just for me, but alas, I guess her family may need her or something. Drat! My turn for a little recipe. I just love squash, especially yellow squash! I know, I must be weird right. This stuff is super yummy and I wish that I remembered the history behind this recipe, but I don't. I do remember it came from a family reunion of mine and I have to say that I come from a long line of fantastic cooks! Most of who you will meet in future posts. So try it as a side dish. Heck, I might eat it as a main dish it's so good. You can never go wrong when you mix butter and cheese with anything.


Two-Cheese Squash Casserole

4 pounds (wow, that's a lot) of yellow squash, sliced

4 tbsp. of butter or margarine

1 lrg. sweet onion, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 1/2 cups of soft breadcrumbs, divided

1 1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided

1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup chopped fresh chives (I use dried, so make sure to check the label for conversion)

1/2 cup minced fresh parsley (Again, I am a cheater!)

1 (8oz.) container of sour cream

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground pepper

2 lrg. eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 tsp. garlic salt

Cook squash in boiling water to cover in large skillet 8 - 10 minutes or just until tender. Drain well, gently press between two paper towels.

Melt 2 tbsp. butter in skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic and saute 5-6 minutes or until tender. Removed skillet from heat; stir in squash, 1 cup of breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese and next 7 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13X9 inch baking pan.

Melt remaining 2 tbsp. butter. Stir together melted butter, remaining 1 1/2 cup of soft breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and garlic salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over top of the casserole.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until set.

1 comment:

Cowgirls and Cupcakes said...

This was good, Deb! I highly reccommend the food processor slicing blad for this one! Made cutting the squash a one minute deal. Also worked well for making the breadcrumbs with the cutting blade. Nice side dish, even the hubby liked this one and he doesn't like yellow squash. Cheese is a wonder food!