Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans




Hope y'all had a nice three day weekend. As many of you know, I recently acquired my great-grandmother's recipe box. It has been so much fun going through all the cool recipes for "pickled this-and-that" and "ice box cookies." I have been trying to scan each recipe into my computer so that I can put together a cookbook for our next family reunion. This baby is loaded with recipes, so I know it's going to take me awhile.
Found this little gem this morning as I was perusing the box. It's in my great-grandmother's handwriting, and as you can see on the top of the recipe card she has marked it as "good." So it must have been one that she liked. Always a good sign.
So try it out and let me know what you think.

Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans

3 Strips of bacon (fried and crumbled)
1 small onion sliced (use whatever type you have: white, yellow or red)
2 teaspoons of corn starch
1/4teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 lb. can of green beans (fresh is always better, but you need to substitute the bean liquid for water when it gets to that point)
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of vinegar
1 hard cooked egg sliced (hard-boiled)
Fry up the bacon.
Take one tablespoon of drippings from bacon. Add onion and fry to light brown.
Stir in cornstarch, salt and dry mustard.
Drain beans and reserve 1/2 cup of liquid. Stir (liquid) into mixture in frying pan. Cook and stir until it boils.
Blend in brown sugar and vinegar.
Add beans and heat thoroughly.
Put into serving dish and garnish with egg and crumbled bacon









1 comment:

Weekend Cowgirl said...

The green beans sound great. I will be making them soon.